【经管院每周系列讲座第322期】 Liquidity, Collateral Constraints, and Interest Rates
Title: Liquidity, Collateral Constraints, and Interest Rates
Speaker: Zeng Zhixiong, Zhongnan University of Economics and Law.
Host: Tian shu, Associate Professor, RIEM
Time: 14:00-15:30, May 5, Friday
Venue: H501, Liulin Campus
Abstract: We construct a model that integrates entrepreneurial activity and collateral constraints into a search-theoretic framework of money with multiple liquid assets. In the model, interesting-bearing assets coexist with currency as means of payment in decentralized trade. There are banks that play dual roles— providing liquidity insurance and undertaking financial intermediation. Entrepreneurial borrowing from banks is subject to a collateral constraint, which gives rise to imperfections in the credit market. We formulate the optimal monetary policy problem in this environment, highlighting the constraints and tradeoff faced by the policy maker. It is shown that when credit market imperfections are operative, the celebrated Friedman rule is suboptimal. This is because the Friedman rule traps equilibrium real interest rate in its maximum possible value, which is detrimental to entrepreneur’s external financing. The optimal policy implements a non-Friedman rule zero nominal interest rate equilibrium. A critical parameter to our analysis is the haircut on the collateral asset, which represents the severity of financial frictions.
- 【经管院每周系列讲座第325期】Identifying the Effects of Migration and Remittances on Parental Health: Evidence from Left-Behind Elders in China
- 【经管院每周系列讲座第321期】 Cities with too Few Nannies: Regulated Spillovers from High-Skilled Consumption to Low-Skilled Labor Markets
- 【经管院每周系列讲座第322期】 Liquidity, Collateral Constraints, and Interest Rates
- 【经管院每周系列讲座第320期】Trading Coordination and Cross-Listed Share Price Disparity
- 【经管院每周系列讲座第324期】Trade and Nonconvergence of Middle Income Countries
- 【经管院每周系列讲座第324期】Waiting for Affordable
- 【经管院每周系列讲座第323期】Fertility Control and Intergenerational Upward Mobility: Evidence from China's One-Child-Policy
- 【经管院每周系列讲座第277期】Compensating the Lost Youth: The Intergenerational Education Compensation of the Send-down Educated Youths on Their Children
- 【经管院每周系列讲座第318期】The Welfare and Distributional Effects of Fiscal Volatility: A Quantitative Evaluation