Regulations on International Student Administration

2021-05-17 341views

Regulations on International Student Administration

Research Institute of Economics and Management

Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE)

Revised July 2017

This regulation is a translated version only, and the final implementation is based on the original Chinese version

These regulations have been formulated in accordance with the regulations set forth by the Ministry of Education on the management of students in colleges and universities, and SWUFE’s unique situation. These regulations assist students with conduct and policy enforcement, serve as a resource to the campus community surrounding student conflict resolution, and also provide an extensive outreach program that includes presentations such as academic integrity, preventing academic misconduct, conflict resolution, and managing disruptive behavior. Our goal is to foster an environment where students have an opportunity to be accountable for their behaviors and continue their education in a supportive atmosphere. Students should observe all regulations and policies published by university.

Enrollment and Registration

First-year students should have SWUFE admission letters and relevant documents in order to register at CIE (the College of International Education). Students should complete all entrance procedures; any failure to comply will be considered as foregoing admission (with the exception of some extenuating circumstances).

Students should give their medical examination reports to CIE, and the CIE staff will check the report and provide assistance in securing a residence permit. For more details about residence permits or visas, students should contact the CIE Office.

Students should pay all tuition and fees within the first two weeks of each academic year. After paying tuition, students need to go the RIEM International Office (with tuition payment receipts) to sign enrollment paperwork. After that, students will be authorized to select courses, receive exam results, and study at SWUFE.

Length of Studies and Credits

The basic lengths of study are four years for undergraduate students, two years for master’s students, and four years for doctoral students. In principle, students must finish their studies within the required timeframe, but the study period is flexible (in accordance with the credit system).

Undergraduate students are allowed a maximum of six years to complete their studies and graduate. Master’s students have maximum of 4 years, and doctoral students have maximum of six years. (Students who cannot complete their studies at RIEM within the required time period must apply for an extension.) If students complete all necessary credits ahead of schedule, they can apply for early graduation. If students cannot complete all credits within the maximum time allotted, they will be unable to graduate.

For information about credit requirements for students on leave, please refer your specific program’s information or contact the RIEM Office.

Evaluation of Student Performance

Students’ performances will be evaluated based on the credits and scores that they earn. During their studies, students’ first priority is honesty and academic integrity; any violation of these values will be recorded in students’ individual files.

Students should create their own degree plans based on the program curriculum or instructions and advice from professors. Course selection must follow the principle of “easy first, then difficult” and “foundations first, then advanced coursework.”

Each semester, every student is required to complete at least 4 courses but no more than 6 courses, or under the instruction of instructor. Summer courses are optional for international students. Students must confirm their registered courses in the online system; if they do not, credits and scores will not be recognized. Additionally, absences from classes and examinations will be marked as failures.

Exams are the main tool for evaluating student performance, but lecturers can adopt other ways to evaluate students in accordance with specific course content. (These may include closed-book exams, open-book exams, speeches, or writing assignments.) Teachers can base grades on class records, performance in class, homework, exercises, reports, papers, presentations, midterm exams, final exams, etc. Teachers can adjust grade compositions and proportions in accordance with specific course requirements.

Course grades are recorded based on 100-point system. Students must obtain at least 60 points in a class in order to pass and obtain course credit. (Students may not retake courses for which they have already received credit.)

Students who fail to pass course examinations will have ONE opportunity to take the make-up exam. If a student also fails the make-up exam, then he or she must retake this course until he or she is able to pass the class and earn course credit. The overall course grade is composed of many other elements, including class participation, midterm exams, projects and activities, quiz, homework and other learning assessment results. Free elective courses generally do not require make-up exams as students can register to retake the course or choose another free elective course. Undergraduate students should pay additional fee for retaking courses and there is NO makeup exam for retaking courses.

Students who are absent three times or more will be disqualified from participating in the final exam (and make-up exam). They will be required to take this course again the following academic year.

Students who violate the following class regulations will be penalized and earn a course grade of ZERO.

· Obey all examination regulations.

· Unexcused absences for exam.

· Do not complete and hand in examinations.

· Absent from class for three times and above.

· Plagiarism in any assignment and final paper.

Grades, scores, and Grade Point Averages (GPA) are judged according to the following scale:




























59 below



Changing Majors and Transferring Universities

Undergraduate students will have one opportunity to change their major. Students must apply to change their majors and receive approval from RIEM in first two years. (The relevant form can be downloaded from our website.) Only undergraduate students are allowed to change their major for one time.

Graduate students are NOT allowed to change their major.

Temporary Leave from Studies

Students who need to leave school for more than two months for legitimate reasons can request temporary leave.

a. Students need to get permission from RIEM for leave. International students with government scholarships first need to submit a request to their respective ambassador as well as the China Scholarship Council.

b. After receiving permission, international students desiring leave need to complete the relevant application form and complete the necessary procedures. Submit the application to CIE to file on record. For more details, please contact RIEM’s International Office.

c. Students can only ask for a maximum of a one-year leave at a time, for up to two consecutive years. (The longest possible leave period is two years.)

Students who have taken leave and wish to return to school must apply with their respective college three months before the end of the semester preceding their return semester. (After receiving approval from CIE and the respective academic department, the student may return to school.) Students with government scholarships who have taken leave should submit an application six months before the semester ends. After receiving approval from the CIE, the student’s national embassy in China, and the China Scholarship Council, the student can register for classes and return to school.

Students who request extended sick leave need to provide the proof from a doctor. If there are any doubts, the CIE reserves the right to ask the student to be re-examined at a local hospital.

Quit University

Students in one of the following circumstances may be quit the university:

· The cumulative number of failed credits for the courses has reached the prescribed number;

· Postgraduates are deemed unsuitable for further training after the mid-term assessment;

· Those who fail to complete their studies within the university’s prescribed period of study;

· Upon expiration of the period of suspension, the application for reinstatement is not submitted within the prescribed time limit or the application for reinstatement is unqualified;

· After being diagnosed by a designated hospital, he/she is unable to continue studying at school because of illness or accidental disability;

· Failing to participate in the prescribed teaching activities for two weeks without approval;

· Students who fail to register within the prescribed time limit;

· Other circumstances in which the university cannot complete the studies and should be withdrawn from university.

Students who should be quitted according to regulations shall be determined by the university affairs meeting. If the student himself applies for quit, it shall go through the procedures after the university has reviewed and approved it. The university should issue a letter to the students who should be quitted from the university; for the letter cannot be delivered to the student or the student refuses to sign, it will be issued on the university website for announcement.

Campus Order and Extracurricular Activities

Students should consciously abide by civic ethics, consciously abide by the university management system, create and maintain a civilized, clean, beautiful, and safe learning and living environment, establish safety risk prevention and self-protection awareness, and protect their legitimate rights and interests.

Students must not engage in illegal activities such as alcohol abuse, fighting, gambling, drug abuse, dissemination, copying, or trafficking in illegal books, periodicals and audio-visual products; they must not engage in or participate in activities that harm the image of college students or harm public order and good customs.

If the University discovers that a student has violated the law or a serious mental illness in the school may cause harm to others, it may take or assist the relevant department to take necessary measures in accordance with the law.

The University adheres to the principle of separation of education and religion. No organization or individual may conduct religious activities in campus.

Disciplinary Actions

For students who violate laws and regulations, these regulations and disciplines, the University will punish students in accordance with relevant regulations for violation of disciplines.

Criticism and education shall be given, and the following disciplinary sanctions shall be given depending on the severity of the circumstances:

· Warning;

· Serious warning;

· Demerits;

· Disciplinary Probation;

· Expulsion.

The University shall establish a student management committee and a student complaint handling committee respectively. The composition of each committee and office setting shall follow the principle of avoidance, and shall be responsible for the identification of student violations and the handling of complaints within the school.

Students in one of the following circumstances may be expelled from school by SWUFE:

· Violating the Constitution, opposing the Four Basic Principles, undermining stability and unity, and disrupting social order;

· Violation of national laws and constitutes a criminal offense;

· Being punished by public security management, the circumstances are serious and the nature is bad;

· Taking the test on behalf of others or allowing others to take the test, organizing cheating, using communication equipment or other equipment to cheat, selling test questions or answers to others for profit, and other serious cheating or disrupting the order of the test;

· Academic misconducts such as plagiarism, tampering, or forgery in academic dissertations and publicly published research results, with serious circumstances, or writing or trading papers on behalf of others;

· Violating school regulations and seriously affecting school education and teaching order, life order, and management order in public places;

· Infringing upon the lawful rights and interests of other individuals and organizations, causing serious consequences;

· Those who have repeatedly violated school regulations and received disciplinary sanctions, but have not been corrected after education.

The university insists on the combination of education and punishment, and the punishment given to students should be commensurate with the nature of the students' violations of laws and disciplines and the severity of their faults. The university’s sanctions against students shall be sufficient in evidence, clear basis, accurate in nature, proper procedures, and proper sanctions.

The university shall inform students of the facts, reasons and basis of the decision, and inform students that they have the right to make statements and defenses, and to listen to students' statements and defenses.

Sanctions, disciplinary decisions, and disciplinary notices should be delivered directly to the student; if the student refuses to sign for receipt, it can be served by lien; if the student has left school, it can be delivered by mail; if it is difficult to contact, you can use the university website, News media, etc. to be served by announcement.

Duration of Disciplinary Actions:

Disciplinary sanctions should have different duration for each type as below. During the period of disciplinary sanctions, students will be disqualified for evaluation and awards, and the qualification to apply for a degree will be cancelled.

· Duration of warning is six months;

· Duration of serious warning is six months;

· Duration of demerits is twelve months;

· Duration of disciplinary probation is twelve months


Students who complete their coursework and degree plan within the allotted timeframe will graduate and receive a diploma.